Gearbox Repair Explained
Gearbox repairs are a very popular, but sometimes complex, repair process in vehicle maintenance. They are usually necessary when you’re having issues changing gears. This applies to both manual and auto gearbox repairs, as both types of vehicles can experience gearbox issues.
You usually need a gearbox repair when you notice something has changed while changing gears. This can include strange noises or a burning smell when you change gears, or even when you just start up your car.
Gearbox repairs and gearbox servicing can be some of the most crucial services you get from your local garage. With faulty gear changes being an increasing reason for car accidents and breakdowns in busy places, we here at Mercury Car Centre advise that you should keep a close eye on your gearbox to ensure that these things don’t happen to your vehicle as well.
Our Expert Gearbox Repairing Service
Our expert gearbox repair service caters for all gearboxes from major manufacturers. If your car is one of the more niche vehicle manufacturers, don’t worry! Just give us a call and we will let you know if we’re able to help fix your faulty gearbox.
Depending on the nature of your issue, the gearbox repair cost may also include a gearbox flush service as well. When conducting a flush service on cars, the process is as follows:
- First, we connect our flush system to your transmission system.
- We then conduct the flushing process with the existing gearbox, where a flushing agent is sent through for about 20 minutes.
- During this, we can then carry out a transmission fault diagnosis and identify any further gearbox problems that also need a service. We will know if there is a transmission problem if it doesn’t get up to the right running temperature. If this happens, it may be that you’ll need to change gearboxes if the service doesn’t solve the issue.
- After the flushing, we will begin the fluid exchange process, which is a service that is suitable for all car makes. Instead of leaving you with old fluid, we will drain gearboxes and make them road-ready again instead.
- We exchange the full amount of oil throughout the clutch system, torque converter and hoses.
- For the final stage, we then use a conditioner to tidy up any last remnants of old fluid inside, which may cause small issues that could still call for minor repair jobs.
- Now that you have your reconditioned gearbox, we will check for any fault codes. If all is well, the servicing is complete and your car is ready to go again!
How To Know When You Might Need Your Gearbox Repaired
There are quite a few different ways to tell whether your car gearbox needs to be repaired. Additionally, our servicing tips apply for any car manufacturer; whether it’s for an Audi or you’re looking for Nissan gearbox repairs, Mercury Car Centre can help with any and all service needs.
For safety reasons, it’s important to know when you need to bring in your car for a closer look. One of the first things you may notice is a warning light appearing on your dashboard. Usually, this is the check engine light but we advise all drivers to pay close attention to whichever light may pop up on their dashboard.
Another indication that something is wrong with your car is if it is struggling to go into gear. You may hear odd noises or smell something odd as a result of this, which can be a clear warning that something is going wrong.
If you drive a manual car, your clutch can also be a good tell-tale sign that your gears aren’t working as they should. If it doesn’t feel like it’s biting as it usually does, this can be a sign that something is soon to go wrong with your transmission system. At this point, we would advise bringing it in for a quick clutch check.
The Benefits Of Using Our Manual And Automatic Gearbox Repairs Service
One of the main benefits of using us here at Mercury Car Centre for your repair needs is our transparency and honesty with prices, and the time taken to repair any issues.
Unlike other garages, our main priority is getting drivers back on the road as soon as possible and giving their car a quality new set of parts, ensuring a safe and enjoyable driving experience.
If you have any questions about whether we can fix your specific issue, please do not hesitate to get in contact with us via phone or email and we will aim to get back to you as soon as possible.
Call us Today!
Simply call us here at Mercury Cars in Essex and expect high-class car servicing and repairs from an independent centre that has a genuine passion for customer care.
This depends on the main issue at hand, which we will be able to diagnose with an initial look at the system. After this initial assessment, we will be able to gauge the time needed to make the fix and the price our customers can expect to pay as a result.
Again, this depends on the issue at hand. However, considering that automatic jobs are usually based around transmission failure which can be the most complex issue to fix and some of the most expensive parts to replace, we would say that on average, they can be more costly. However, for accurate pricing, we would advise waiting until we can make an assessment for a fair price.
We usually advise that the top signs to look out for are strange smells, sounds, and odd or slightly delayed functions which you are not used to when changing gears.
You will need a replacement as soon as your issue is impeding your ability to drive safely. Here at Mercury Car Centre, we are ready to take a look at what needs fixing as soon as you feel it is no longer road-safe to go without service.